Habitat for Humanity
DIY: Entry Bench
13 December 2017
Posted by Rae
This old out of style entertainment center can have a new life as a foyer or mudroom bench in just six easy steps.
Flat screens are great, but there is a casualty of these big screens; it is the classic one piece entertainment center. More and more we are seeing these old style entertainment centers fall to the wayside. By just cutting away part of the cabinet and finishing it you can create your own entry bench with storage for boots, gloves, scarves, etc… Now instead of taking it to the landfill, you can remake that old eyesore into a useful addition to your entry or mudroom!
Here is what you will need:
- A large entertainment center, preferably with storage on one side.
- A skill saw
- Hooks or cabinet knobs
- A seat cushion
- Paint (optional)
Directions: 1. Begin by marking where you want to make your cuts.
2.Using the skill saw cut away the extra wood from the top & the side.
3. Sand both cut edges until they are smooth..
4. Once the edges are smooth, dust it clean and begin painting, if desired. If not simply use a matching stain on exposed wood and seal with polyeurathane.
5. Once the paint has dried, attach the seat cushion and coat hooks or knobs to be used as hooks. Re-attach the doors if desired.
6. Then just sit down and enjoy.