- Harmony Cottages will be the largest development in Habitat for Humanity Fort Collins’ history.
- 48 new, energy efficient homes will be built over the next five years.
- Will create stable and affordable housing for approximately 144 people. Estimated to consist of 86 children and 58 adults.
- Built on 4.45 acres located at the southeast intersection of Harmony Road and Taft Hill Road.
- With the housing crisis in Fort Collins, Habitat is a partner in the City’s strategic affordable housing plan. Habitat’s mission of building affordable housing has never been more important. This neighborhood will exceed the City’s Social Sustainability Departments’ goal of creating a site that is not only maximized density, but also is comprised that are high quality, affordable and accessible. The shared open green space also fits the priority of designing neighborhoods that encourage connection and community. Habitat’s ultimate goal is to create a world in which everyone has a decent, affordable place to live in dignity and safety.
- The design team created a modern urbanism framework with homes to best utilize the land and create beautiful spaces for homeowners to live. Great attention was given to the fine details of landscaping, lighting, signage, white picket fences and warm, inviting and usable porches.
- The development maximizes density and green space, including park-like shared green courts and a designated pocket park, which will include a playground designed for children ages 5-12.
- Over 40% of the site is green including landscape and open space.
Solar Energy: A Commitment to Powering Harmony Cottages
When the Harmony Cottages neighborhood was designed, we wanted to ensure that the community would be environmentally conscious and energy-efficient. Solar energy was the obvious choice! We are pleased to offer the opportunity for our homeowners to save on their utility bills, while also helping to power our community utilizing the 300 days of sunshine that our state is so well known for. In order to make this “green dream” a reality, we went to the experts in the alternative-energy fields:
- New Belgium Brewery: A local leader in sustainability, New Belgium has a passion for conserving and creating energy. Their packaging hall here in Fort Collins boasts 1,235 solar photovoltaic (PV) panels resulting in a LEED Platinum Certification. New Belgium has committed to contributing funds toward the first nine homes at Harmony.
- City of Fort Collins Utilities Department: In 2015, Fort Collins Utilities released a new Energy Policy outlining their commitment to creating to a cleaner environment and affordable electric bills for city residents.
- Namasté Solar: A leading solar energy provider, Namasté‘s mission is to “propagate the responsible use of solar energy, pioneer conscientious business practices, and create holistic wealth for ourselves and our community.” Their team will be in charge of installation and will help to create a solar curriculum for homeowners so that they feel confident in their system and the impact it has on the community.
Thank you to our solar sponsors:
We need your help more than ever!
If you, your corporate group or faith organization would like to support, donate or volunteer at Harmony Cottages, please contact Mara Cosgrove, Philanthropy Director, at 970-488-2603 or firstname.lastname@example.org.